Fast-growing private SaaS company is seeking a dynamic and engaging Legal professional to run its internal Legal function.
Impartner is seeking a dynamic and engaging Attorney experienced with Subscription SaaS enterprise contracts as well as a broad range of related legal areas to join our team in South Jordan, Utah. This is an important individual contributor role at the company and it reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
The Director of Business & Legal Affairs provides global sales and generalist legal advice to support Impartner's operations and its provision of SaaS services to its customers. The Director of Business & Legal Affairs will work with the executive team and operations personnel at all levels within Impartner providing sound legal advice and ensure consistent and timely legal counsel to sales, marketing, product, human resources and finance. This position will identify issues and assess risks, and ensure processes are followed for privacy and other legal compliance. The Director of Business & Legal Affairs will be involved in a range of activities including sales contract review and negotiation, policy and compliance initiatives, human resources / labor law, vendor agreements, intellectual property matters and advising internal personnel on all relevant legal matters.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about bringing his/her legal expertise to the company to help it build its legal capabilities and expand the Legal function and capabilities commensurate with the Company’s rapid growth. The successful candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced sales environment and is an energetic collaborator that enjoys working with Sales teams and cross-departmentally as a strategic advisor on matters of SaaS sales, intellectual property, privacy, cybersecurity, labor, compliance, corporate transactions, M&A, debt and equity financing and vendor agreements.
We seek a candidate who will bring both strategic vision and best-practices to guide the management team, coupled with a hands-on and tactical approach to enable effective execution. The candidate must demonstrate strong business judgment applied to routine and complex legal issues together with a healthy dose of professional curiosity when addressing business and legal issues.
The successful candidate will have an interest in and quickly grasp company operations and business drivers and must possess a high degree of integrity and independence. The candidate will have 5 or more years of experience dealing with complex legal matters.
Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to the following:
· Provide first-line legal and regulatory advice relating to commercial agreements to in-house sales and business teams.
· Advise the company on matters related to Employment, Human Resources and Labor laws.
· Provide guidance regarding Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademark matters as needed.
· Work closely with privacy counsel and information security team to help ensure the Company's compliance with GDPR, SOC 2, CCPA and related policies.
· Review, negotiate and approve important business and legal issues pertaining to other agreements such as intellectual property, NDA’s, vendor agreements, service agreements, subcontracts, consulting agreements, labor, licenses, as well as other legal agreements.
· Managing client contracts and contract negotiations (including reviewing, drafting, redlining) from receipt of the contract from the business unit through to deal closure subject to final approval by the CFO or lead outside counsel.
· Managing and optimizing the company legal agreement templates, legal workflow from drafting, negotiating, closing and organizing the growing repository of Company legal agreements.
· Conduct ad hoc legal research and review for both domestic and international matters relevant to the company's operations, policies, and procedures
· Manage the Company’s external legal resources to secure the best counsel at favorable terms.
Required Qualifications / Legal Chops:
· Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited U.S. University.
· Currently licensed to practice law in Utah, California, New York or another U.S. State with a minimum of 5 years generalist legal experience, including at least 3 years experience working as part of an in-house legal department in an enterprise SaaS company.
· Experience with Enterprise SaaS Subscription Contracts (a must).
· Experience supporting sales teams in a fast-paced sales environment including advising on, drafting and negotiating terms on 3rd party paper, drafting online terms and managing a growing library of internal templates
· Broad negotiating experience with complex, multi-part agreements
· Refined and well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance and unique business challenges)
· Proven ability to creatively accomplish organization goals while assessing and managing legal risk
· Excellent legal research and writing skills
· Strong understanding of risk assessment and risk management
· Experience coordinating external legal specialists and multi-disciplinary compliance groups
· Familiarity with Intellectual Property and Vendor Agreements
· Familiarity with Contract Management Systems
Attributes of the successful candidate:
Integrity: Unquestioned personal and professional integrity, a reputation for excellence and setting a high ethical standard for performance; Brings gravitas and a well-articulated set of core values and expected behavior and holds others to the same standards; Appreciation and ability to professionally assume responsibility for highly-sensitive and confidential information
Executes for Results: Committed to excellence and able to drive results in the organization. Able to prioritize and relentlessly follows through on commitments despite difficulties or complications. A strong business partner to line leaders in the organization. Resourceful in nature, and consistently provides practical and creative solutions to business and legal challenges. Demonstrates high attention to detail and extraordinary problem-solving ability. Possesses effective time management, organization and prioritizing skills; Ability to manage and prioritize multiple deliverables and meet deadlines. Ability to make decisions and prioritize effectively while maintaining the highest standards for completeness and accuracy. Innovative and disciplined thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for success in a fast-paced, growing environment
Manage Work Processes: Designs effective and efficient work processes and systems. Figures out what to measure to track progress. Ability to evaluate processes, seek out and implement internal or external best practices, diagnose and fixes workflow problems and always looks for incremental process improvement. Continuous improvement mentality, with a capacity and energy to challenge the status quo and drive change throughout the organization.
Relationships and Interpersonal Skills: Possesses high emotional intelligence. Builds and sustains excellent relationships at multiple levels across the organization. Highly collaborative and supports open and transparent dialogue throughout the organization. Collaborative team player with a can-do attitude, balanced with the ability to gracefully communicate difficult messages. Comfortable working with all levels of business professionals, including senior management and international colleagues located in different time zones.
Effective Communicator: Writes and presents effectively. Adjusts style to fit the audience and the message; Good listener, demonstrates open and honest communication with the team, respects ideas and opinions; Shows strong business acumen; Able to navigate negotiations with customers or vendors directly and independently. Comfortable advising top management on issues relating to legal risks, compliance matters, privacy and related regulations. Articulate professional, possessing excellent verbal communication skills; Demonstrated ability to simply communicate complex legal concepts and their practical implications to stakeholders across the organization.
Impartner is a privately held rapidly growing SaaS technology innovator located in Utah's thriving Silicon Slopes area. We deliver the industry’s most complete SaaS-based Channel Management Platform, helping companies worldwide manage their partner relationships and accelerate revenue and profitability through indirect sales channels. Impartner’s flagship Partner Relationship Management (PRM) solution is the industry’s most award-winning PRM technology and one of the industry’s only turnkey solutions that can deploy a world-class Partner Portal in as few as 14 days.
Periodic weekend or evening work is expected. At certain times of the year – such as quarter-end and year-end reporting periods, may be required to put in extra hours to meet important deadlines.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds and is required to travel unless otherwise specified in the job description.
At Impartner, we value inclusion and embrace diversity. Impartner is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Impartner prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, nationality, citizenship, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other unlawful consideration. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position.
Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.