BoldBrush, a cutting edge tech company with a creative culture, is looking for a proactive, strategic thinking, full-stack software engineer to drive our loved art website and marketing software to the next level.
About this Role:
We’re seeking a senior software engineer in the San Antonio or Austin area to help us build our FASO Artist Website application.
You’ll work with our product–development team to build challenging new functionality into our product. You’ll be required to be creative in your work. We compete in a space with world class companies and you’ll be building important pieces that will take our loved product to new heights. We try to keep meetings to an absolute minimum so you can spend your time focusing on what you love to do.
We allow for flexible hours and remote work options, but you will need to be in the San Antonio office on a fairly regular basis. You can have a huge positive impact on the lives of thousands of artists.
FASO is pushing hard in the areas of user-interface design & experience, web-services, and distributed redundancy. We are currently looking for software engineers who are eager to solve some hard problems in these areas. The ideal candidate will be able to work well with minimal supervision and be comfortable with working on various layers of a complex system powering thousands of websites.
As a member of the team, you will be working with other engineers with years of startup experience developing and integrating large-scale backend systems. You will build the front-end engine powering highly interactive web applications that support the dreams of thousands of visual artists. Our work environment is extremely creative, relaxed and highly collaborative. If you see yourself working on interesting problems with us, we'd love to meet you.
At BoldBrush, we know that art can transform lives and make the world a better place. That’s why for over a decade we’ve made it our mission is to inspire the world’s artists, collectors and art lovers by connecting them with each other and with great art. We provide the art community with technology that is simple to use, empowering and beautiful. And we back that technology with live support powered by people who are passionate about art and tenacious, ingenious and driven to make every interaction remarkable.
Why this Role is Unique
Solid Foundation - We are profitable, have over a decade of leadership in the visual art space, NPS in high 60’s to low 70's, very strong product/market fit, distribution base of 100K+ artists, power over 12,500 artist websites (and growing).
First 20 - You will be part of the first 20 employees and help us shape the future of the company.
Blank Canvas - You will be designing greenfield improvements. Built it right and the way you see fit. You will have a blank canvas to define help design culture, processes, and contributions.
Massive Impact - There are multiple places within the company for you to apply strategic thinking and implement systems—you will have a massive impact on the company (including process, product, and codebase).
Deep Work - We are flexible about when and how we work. All our employees work from home 2-3 days a week. We value and protect deep work time.
Smart Creative Culture - We believe the creativity of every human deserves to be recognized and celebrated. We are quite literally, artists serving artists. We’re building a unique team made up of smart creatives.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Mission of this Role:
To modernize BoldBrush and FASO offerings in three ways: 1. Significantly upgrade our newsletter app, ArtfulMail by improving the user flow and experience. 2. modernize our users’ ecommerce infrastructure by improving the user flow and partner integrations with a focus on our unique way of implenting ecommerce in the art space. 3. Build and launch a new revenue-generating module in our app that allows artists to manage and sell workshops and classes to their students.
Initial Objectives of this role:
Landing page builder, in the first three months.
- Create a drag-n-drop landing page builder by implementing a third party solution.
- Integrate the landing page builder with our software and create custom functionalities tailor made for our customers and the art space.
Payment links functionality, in the first six months.
- Create a new functionality that integrates with our shopping cart, that will allow an artist create custom payment links.
Improve the blogging experience for our customers, in the first six months.
- Create a simplified blog editing experience that focuses on content creation and is more aligned with current trends from the industry such as Medium, Substack, Notion, to name some examples.
- Streamline our content publishing process and tools, to make it super easy to go from writing to delivering the content to multiple channels within minutes.
Upgrade our newsletter web application, ArtfulMail, in the first year.
- Integrate new third party drag-n-drop editor to replace our aging editor.
- Redesign and improve user newsletter creation, sending, subscriber management workflow
- Rewrite all code in this app to our modern MVC structure (parts of it are currently on legacy code)
- Harmonize and polish user facing screens
Ongoing Responsibilities of this Role
The following are the areas you are accountable for:
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Write server-side code for web-based applications, create robust high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly. You should also have a strong understanding of, and practical experience with, PHP web application development.
- Work closely with product manager to deliver the vision and experience that supports thousands of artists
- Develop prototypes quickly.
- Build and maintain platforms and systems infrastructure at the core of FASO.
- Collaborate with engineers and designers to deliver strong customer-focused experiences.
- Build internal systems with your domain expertise in customer support, finance and marketing.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
CEO - You'll work closely with the CEO, Clint Watson. Clint as a product oriented CEO and you’ll have direct access to company leadership. Learn more about Clint here: https://clintavo.com.
Technical Lead - You’ll also work closely with our technical lead Ricardo Perez Porras, a full stack web developer with strong experience developing web applications and websites. Has a passion for building high-impact and well performing solutions to empower our customers and peers. Loves sharing knowledge and learning new things.
Engineering Team - you’ll work closely with our existing engineering team and designer to best integrate your work seamlessly into our product.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
- Strategic thought leader that holds marketing and business goals at the center of product execution
- Practical code design sensibilities - values simplicity of design, readability and maintenance
- Deep experience in web applications, and web infrastructure.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- Solid knowledge of PHP. Strong object oriented programming skills as well as knowledge of current trends and best practices.
- Experience working with PHP MVC Frameworks is desired (Laravel, Symfony, Zend Framework, etc.).
- Understanding of database design, caching and scalability, and/or knowledge of TCP/IP and network programming are a plus.
Nice to haves
- Experience and knowledge with Microsoft technologies (IIS, SQL Server, asp).
- Basic experience with front-end build tools such as Webpack, Gulp, etc.
- Experience with automated tests (PHPUnit) or TDD.
- Experience building and working with CI/CD environments.
- Experience with one or more Cloud Computing Services such as AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
Primary Tools & Technologies used at BoldBrush
- Stable and Profitable company with over a decade of leadership in the visual art space.
- Competitive Salary and Benefits while being in a lower cost of living city.
- Dress code - you must wear something.
- Join our small team - there's lots of opportunities to grow with us.
- Flexibility to work remotely.
- Craft simple, beautiful and empowering software that will help and inspire thousands of artists across the globe.
- Join a team that is building a new, hip and exciting online hub to connect artists, art collectors and art lovers.
How to Apply
Please send an application with a cover letter that speaks directly to this position. There are no right answers or cookie-cutter expectations. Show us your role in BoldBush’s future and BoldBrush’s role in yours. Address some of the work we do. Introduce yourself as a colleague. Give it a deep think and take this at your speed. We’re giving you our full attention.
Make sure that you attach a current version of your resume and any other information that you think is relevant to this job opportunity.
We understand this is a lot of work and there’s a lot on the line. It’s a significant career move to consider. We appreciate the generosity and courage that go into giving us your consideration. Our conversation starts with your application. We look forward to hearing from you.