We are Virtual Internships, an Education Technology company on a mission to bridge the gap between education and the workplace by making internships accessible to all and preparing young people for the future of work.
We work with Universities, Education Institutions & Foundations, K-12 Schools, and Corporates to provide their students, graduates, or employees with an employability program that incorporates upskilling courses, mentor coaching, and a guaranteed remote work placement.
2021 & Beyond
We are backed by some of the world’s top investors who were early investors in companies such as AirBnB, Udemy, Zoom, ApplyBoard, Linkedin...and we’re scaling fast!
Our team is growing in every area including Partnerships, Product, Engineering, Marketing, HR and Operations, and we plan to increase the global team to up to 150 by the end of 2021.
- Selected by Tech in Asia as a Top 50 Rising Startup (No.6 in Vietnam)
- Selected by HolonIQ as a Top 100 EdTech Startup
- Selected by Jisc & Emerge Education as a Top 20 EdTech Startup ready to address the education’s sector’s biggest challenges
- Featured on Forbes, BBC News, BBC World, The Telegraph, The Independent, and Professionals in International Education
- Winners of the prestigious MassChallenge accelerator program
We are a start-up that is scaling fast. Therefore we’re not hiring for someone to do repetitive work. We’re hiring resilient, multi-faceted problem solvers. To thrive at VI, you will need a ‘growth mindset’ where you embrace the challenge of figuring something out.
What will the Finance & Accounting Manager be trying to solve?
- Building a team that fully owns all weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting and financial processes for all entities in our corporate structure
- Scaling our AP and AR functions as the company grows
- Taking ownership of all quarterly and annual financial processes - filing and auditing annual accounts for two entities, performing quarterly statements and audits for our representative office, and filing quarterly VAT returns for the UK parent
- Ensuring tax, sales, and labor compliance through regular compliance reviews and navigating barriers as we expand into new markets
- Design accurate and efficient accounting processes that can adapt to the changing nature of the business
- Execute and scale monthly multi-entity payroll and support HR processes for our global team (we’re in over 20 countries!)
- Support the FP&A team by helping us gain insight from the data that your team is producing.
How big is the Finance team?
- The team consists of the CFO and an FP&A Specialist who work together on strategic initiatives, fundraising and investor relations. The Finance & Accounting Manager will report directly to the CFO, and in time you will manage Finance & Accounting Associates/Specialists to support you with your remit.
What does success look like in 12 months’ time?
- The successful Manager will hire and onboard a team of top talent under their leadership in the next twelve months
- The successful Manager will develop a 1- 3- and 5- plan of how you will support the business based on our plans to grow and scale
What are the career development opportunities in this role / at Virtual Internships?
- Our company culture prides itself on internal promotions and meritocracy. The majority of our division leaders have risen through the company - including COO, CAO, CFO, Head of Company Experience, Head of Company Development, Head of Intern Experience
- We’re looking to achieve ambitious revenue growth targets - in the next few months and years you’ll be leading a rapidly growing team and you’ll be in charge of structuring the roles and reporting lines that help you scale your part of the department
Traits/Skills You Will Need
- Formalized development is rarely effective at start-ups, so we don’t try to do it. We approach development by providing employees with the opportunity to develop themselves, by surrounding them with high performing colleagues and giving them challenges to work on
- Founder mentality- you will have a growth mindset and embrace figuring things out.
- Intellectual horsepower- we’re solving problems most other companies haven’t or can’t solve, so you will need tenacity and intellectual agility to succeed
- Prioritize ruthlessly- we move (very) fast, so your priorities will constantly evolve. You will need to keep disciplined to the important work, and not get distracted by low ROI tasks
- “Startup Nerd” - you don’t need to be an expert on start-ups, but you should have an intrinsic interest and passion for startups. This will be tested in our interviews!
- Excellent leadership skills - you know how to marry what the department needs to keep up with the business with what your subordinates need to learn and grow
- Ambition - Dare to Dream
- Performance - Results Matter
- Curiosity - Sapere Aude
- Resilience - We always find a way
- Humility - Remember our roots
- Meritocracy - The door is always open
Some Basic Requirements
- 5 years’ relevant career experience, including 2 years of managerial experience
- Based in Ho Chi Minh City
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Vietnamese and English (you don’t need an IELTS, but if you did it would be 7.0+)
- Accounting skills: a qualification (ACCA, ACA, CPA, etc) is not required, but we’re looking for some familiarity with IFRS (or UK or US GAAP) and with VAS.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel and Google Sheets skills
- Familiarity with Xero is a plus
- Assessment Round (One-way Video Interview & Technical Test)
- First Round Interview with the hiring manager
- Final Round Interview with C-Suite & FP&A Specialist
Ho Chi Minh City
||22 Oct 2021
Share Job Opening