Reports To: Amy Waterman, Deputy Director
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of the Terasaki Institute for Biomedical Innovation (TIBI), the Principal Data Scientist will be responsible for ensuring excellence in data collection, management, reporting compliance, and analysis. Chiefly, they will design and implement prospective data capture and management systems, validate and implement computational data management tools. Further, the data scientist will ensure excellence in visualization and communication of data to multiple audiences (e.g., scientific and non-scientific).
Ideal candidates will have earned a Masters or PhD in Applied Analytics, Psychology, Public Health, Statistics, Economics, Public Policy or Sociology with strong quantitative training and skills, and interest in transplantation, improving health outcomes, reducing disparities, conducting dissemination and implementation research, and affecting public policy nationally. The research results will be published in technical reports, open-source software, peer-reviewed journals as well as presented at national and international scientific conferences. Ideal candidates will have experience and interests in building community, teaching and training, and leadership with strong communication skills.
· Design, validate and implement Prospective Data Capture and Management Systems (e.g., REDCap) to collect prospective (e.g., research subject interviews) and retrospective (e.g., medical records) data
· Clean, manipulate and merge data for all research studies, including merging multiple data sets
· Lead documentation efforts around data management, analysis, and archiving as required for research purposes
· Write and organize syntax for statistical analysis programs
· Validate automated systems for data cleaning and identification of dataset errors and anomalies
· Build automated systems for integrating data on new and ongoing patients enrolled in studies for compliance purposes
· Work with study team to design reports to track study progress (e.g., recruitment, patient tracking)
· Review implementation of data, staffing, and subject recruitment protocols for multiple ongoing clinical trials on a quarterly basis/review studies’ compliance and data collection quarterly for internal lab quality monitoring
· Assist with preparation and submission of grants and grant reports
· Prepare and deliver quarterly and yearly updates of new transplant and kidney epidemiology statistics
· Compile research briefings under the direction of TREC’s deputy director
· Score multi-item survey instruments using standardized programs
· Prepare data analyses for manuscripts and conference abstracts (e.g. univariate and bivariate analyses)
· Create, format, deliver and present data for multiple scientific and non-scientific audiences via manuscripts, presentation and public talks
· Draft and edit general data correspondence as needed
- Master or recent PhD in quantitative or related field (graduate degree or higher preferred).
· Recent PhD in Public Health, Psychology, Economics, Public Policy, Communication, Data Science, Education or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of work experience and education (required)
· Previous experience with scientific and medical writing required
· Previous experience with publishing and authoring medical and scientific journal articles preferred
· Proficient in the use of statistical computing software. SAS or R is required. Stata, SPSS, or other familiarity is desired
· Knowledge of design, implementation and maintenance of diverse databases collected over time for research purposes, including acquisition, editing and reporting
· Demonstrated knowledge of all components the research process as it pertains to research studies, i.e., IRB procedures and processes, data management and cleaning strategies, use of standardized surveys, etc.
· Medical/health research experience, knowledge of randomized controlled trials and epidemiological studies preferred
· Demonstrated attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and manage project timelines as well as ability to work independently and set priorities that advance TREC's mission and visibility
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple job tasks
· Demonstrated ability to write analytical and administrative reports and correspondence, which are clear, concise, logical and appropriate for a variety of audiences
· Experience using reference software such as EndNote
· Flexibility to respond effectively to changing priorities and fluctuating workloads
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Please include the following documents into ONE DOC, DOCX, or PDF File:
Research statement, including a brief summary of previous research experiences, along with motivation and specific fit for the mission of the Institute. Suggested length: 1-3 pages
Names and contact information for a minimum of three references
*Terasaki Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.