Head of People
Construction Scale Up
We are searching for a driven Head of People (Operations) who can lead the People Agenda for a forward thinking construction business. You will develop and execute business strategies focused on employee engagement, organizational effectiveness, workforce planning, reward, recognition, DEI, L&D and HRIS. This role sits as member of the business unit’s management team and has two direct reports.
- Acts as strategic business partner to the Exec leader and the leadership team to ensure that critical people issues are identified and designs and delivers plans to address.
- Ensures that people policies and approaches are effectively embedded in the business eg DE&I, Reward, Learning etc while ensuring alignment to business objectives.
- Leads change projects and/or works closely with business to deliver key people initiatives successfully into the business.
- Drives employee engagement initiatives through the business.
- Sources and/or creates and delivers L&D interventions to improve capability.
- Drives internal communications across the business unit, working closely with the Head of Comms.
- Leads on talent and succession planning across the business unit with a focus on closing identified capability gaps and identifying development opportunities for key employees.
- Uses MI to proactively highlight and address issues within the business and obtains buy-in from management team to resolve.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with the legal department as needed/required.
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counselling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- You’ll have a background in construction or other aligned industries.
- You’ll be used to managing a diverse workload and prioritising and shaping activities to get things done in a meaningful and planful way.
- You’ll be used to working with leaders and managers at all levels of the organisation, knowing their time is precious and you’re there to be the expert on all things “people”.
- You'll be adept at handling people brilliantly. You’ll need to flex your style for your audience, be a great listener, cut to the heart of someone’s problem and be able to help craft the right solution
- You'll plan, deliver and measure. They want to move forward so you’ll need to be able to figure out the right direction, crack on and learn from what they do so they keep getting better.
- You'll be able to stand your ground and be resilient – they’re building the business so helping managers and colleagues understand their role in making the company a great place to work and ensuring they are accountable for their actions, is important.
- You'll be able to work fast, smart and hard and have a load of fun while doing it. You’ll be working with people who really care about what they do and who want to make a difference.
- You'll be self-sufficient, build networks and connections quickly and be comfortable working independently while bringing key stakeholders along on the ride with you – being prepared to elbow your way in where necessary
- You'll communicate well both verbally and in written form
- You'll drive improvement in how we do things, seeking to make the complex simple
- You'll find your way around a spreadsheet, with the ability to analyse data, spot patterns and “tell the story” to drive decision-making and action