JSI is a technical assistance and research organization that works to advance public health in the US and globally. The JSI Center for Health Information, Monitoring and Evaluation (CHIME) is a technical assistance, research, and knowledge group within JSI dedicated to improving the quality of health information and increasing evidence-based decision making in the health sector. We respond to the growing demand for information-driven health services planning and management and the use of data for program improvement, adaptation and innovation. The Center provides assistance and resources within JSI and to governments and other health-focused organizations to strengthen collection and use of high-quality data to improve health program and system performance. We also coordinate JSI resources and experience in health information systems (HIS) as well as monitoring, evaluation, research and learning to ensure access to essential tools and techniques, and support peer networks.
The Senior Advisor, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation (RM&E) is a leadership position in the Center. S/he is expected to work as part of an internal JSI team and serve in a leadership role, providing technical assistance, developing and managing Center activities and teams, leading new business, and representing the Center and JSIs RM&E capabilities and portfolio internally and externally. The Senior Advisor leads a portfolio of research, evaluation, and analytics work, manages and supervises other technical and administrative team members, and advances technical quality and standards. The technical focus of the Advisor’s research, evaluation, analytics and learning portfolio may vary depending on internal JSI needs as well as the Center portfolio. We are seeking an advisor that brings experience in a range of technical public health areas (e.g., MNCH; HIV; HSS; HIS and Capacity Development) as well as versatility in measurement and learning approaches, among them mixed methods evaluation/ implementation research; evaluation strategy; USAID AMEL planning and execution; and developmental evaluation/CLA. The role involves company-wide strategy development around research, monitoring and evaluation, both program/client-focused technical assistance and activities for JSI and external clients, and direct involvement in Center operations and communication and Center/JSI new business development.
The Senior Advisor, RM&E works under the supervision of the Center Director or Senior Advisor. S/he should work proactively and independently to support the Center director and team, working toward the Center’s strategic goals. This position is based in Arlington, VA with ability to travel internationally approximately 30% of time. During the COVID-19 pandemic period, JSI teams are working remotely.
Specific Responsibilities and Activities include:
Research, monitoring and evaluation
New Business Development
- Serve as an expert resource on advanced research and RM&E approaches and methods for the Center and for JSI projects and manage RM&E activities, projects and teams.
- Align RM&E approaches with program implementation strategies and learning goals;
- Advise teams on RM&E protocols and methods/standards for research and evaluation;
- Develop evaluation strategies and theories of change for program implementation and research/RM&E design;
- Design and implement research studies and process, program and impact evaluations (e.g. population-based, health facility, and other surveys; case studies; quasi-experimental design and mixed methods implementation research);
- Apply methods for systematic inquiry and situational analysis, including but not limited to literature reviews, conceptual frameworks; development of evaluation questions; rationalizing evaluation processes; etc.;
- Provide guidance on sampling, survey, and questionnaire design for facility and household surveys;
- Supervise RM&E advisors and operational staff providing both technical oversight and guidance as well as support for managing workplace responsibilities and processes, and professional development.
- Model and reinforce professional evaluation standards and practices in all RM&E work with external and internal clients.
- Raise awareness of innovative and state-of-the-art methods and RM&E standards and quality in JSI and advance JSI visibility in technical leadership.
- Develop and apply monitoring and evaluation tools and methods, both standard and innovative, and share experience among JSI projects.
- Disseminate and assist JSI staff to disseminate RM&E results to the JSI community, and to the international public health community. Develop and champion research protocols and abstracts, analyses and reports, and developing and submitting peer review publications. Develop RM&E guidance and training materials, as required.
- Carry out, oversee, or provide a variety of RM&E activities and evaluation projects, ensuring timely completion of the project and working to a high technical standard.
- Provide training and mentoring where necessary to RM&E Advisors and Program Managers on new practices and technologies appropriate for their projects.
- Manage mid-level and in-country partners while maintaining a high level of technical and managerial performance.
CHIME and JSI
- Lead the development of new business opportunities including new business capture, strategy conceptualization, technical writing, proposal development/coordination, developing and pitching ideas to prospective funders related to RM&E. Support other teams with providing RM&E strategy and technical support during proposal development.
- Explore, develop and nurture ties with RM&E partner organizations and funders to expand JSI’s network of collaborators.
- Assist in expanding and maintaining a network of consultants for inclusion in new business opportunities.
- Contribute to CHIME’s work in maintaining strong, collaborative and supportive communication with the other JSI centers, working groups, and centrally funded and bilateral projects (i.e. information sharing meetings, listservs, etc.).
- Represent JSI at conferences and events.
- Lead Center work of defining and promoting RM&E quality and standards
, United States
||24 Feb 2021
Share Job Opening